Sunday, February 20, 2011

Xenogears hits the PS Store this week!


Over at the Penny Arcade forums, I take care of the Playstation Store thread, which basically just exists to let everyone know what's come out on any given week, what the general community thinks is pretty good/worth the price, and to let everyone just talk about the games on the PS Store.  Over at the Playstation Blog, they've taken to doing something they call "The Drop" which gives everyone a heads-up as to what will be coming out that week in retail and over the digital store.

And when I saw this week's post, I was doing the usual skimming to see the normal banners they do up for the different categories, which is a nice touch, when I saw this:


"No way", I said.  But yes, it was true.  Xenogears (tentatively, as some things have been delayed after The Drop posts, but I'm seriously hoping against this, obviously) is coming out this week.

Now, why should you care?  Well, several reasons.


1.)  It has giant robots.  Not only that, some of these robots are piloted by Martial Arts masters.  But in all seriousness, the giant robots are pretty great (Are giant robots ever not?) and are utilized in the game in rather different and interesting ways (storyline wise, at least.).  The battle system is top-notch as well.

2.)  It's probably one of the greatest things to come from Squaresoft.  While mostly my opinion and hyperbolic, it held my attention far more than any Final Fantasy title ever could hope to do.  My Holy Trinity of Square (not Squeenix) games is basically Chrono Trigger, Xenogears and Final Fantasy Tactics, so take that for what you will to see if our tastes perhaps overlap, since that will likely be more of an indication than anything on whether you'd like it or not.

3.)  It has a pretty great soundtrack from some guy named Yasunori Mitsuda.  You may or may not have heard of him.  (Oh god, I'm being tongue-in-cheek, please realize that.)


I literally spent half an hour trying to pick which three songs to use, because there is a -lot- of great choices.

4.)  It's only going to be $10.  Given that it's quite a rare game, and anywhere else, it'll cost you far more than $10, that's a bargain.

Really, it's just a great game, and considering it's a classic RPG, you know you're going to get your bang:buck ratio out of it and then some.  Not to mention, buying more of Squeenix's games might encourage them to allow us to, well, buy more of their games.

2 comments:

  1. Xenogears is -quality-.

    Chrono Trigger and Tactics are quality, too. Yasunori Mitsuda is easily my favourite composer. The man developed stomach ulcers from working so hard on Chrono Trigger's soundtrack. How hardcore is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I agree that this is one of Square's greatest masterpieces. I decide to play the game a few days ago, and I'm almost done with it. The only thing I found a little frustrating in this game is that the 2nd disc contains more cutscenes than actions. But then again, they must've done that to cover all the lose ends from the 1st disc.

    Dalton Wordlaw

    ReplyDelete