Wednesday, April 6, 2011

People like some Tablet computers, apparently.

So right after Sony officially announced a Tablet, (as well as saying, perhaps prematurely now, that the NGP might not meet release this year), it seems GameStop wants in on the action too.  Which, part of me thinks is pretty great.  I'm not a big fan of Apple products (said as someone who carries around a four year old or so iPod video, with a version of iTunes several versions out-of-date because the updater actually breaks my internet) so competition against them can, possibly, end with Apple getting less than the absolute majority of the world buying into their shit.  Of course, it won't, but it could.

But the rest of me, rather, the logical part of me, isn't enthused whatsoever.  From Sony Ericsson's batshit insane pricing, to GameStop's....well, GameStop pricing, I'm not expecting anything wallet-friendly, nor am I expecting a lot of people jumping onto it as they have with the Apple App Store, in terms of actual gaming.  I imagine GameStop's a little ahead in that they've purchased Impulse and Kongregate to allow for both free mini-games, and paid 'fuller' games, not to mention Sony Ericsson has access to the Playstation Suite, (Honestly, the Tablet will probably be the touchscreen of the Xperia Play, but bigger, and you can sync a PS3 controller to it if you don't want touch controls, though I could be wrong) and such.

I think this is a mock-up.  I'm pretty sure.  As in, I'd hope the real thing would be....smoother.

Also not to mention that Sony's been sort of in the tablet market already with their series of e-readers (which, will probably be phased out of the market in favor of the tablets which will likely have, well, an e-reader in it.) and the blanket of the unified Playstation Network theory will likely make the transition fairly smooth for those involved (or, at least, we can hope), so there is a chance that even with an almost inevitable stupid price, it might just be a viable item out of the box.

I'm a bit all over the place on these right now, honestly.  I've never really though of getting a tablet thing outside of for the simple "This is the future" feeling of having one.  I mean, some of these look straight out of Star Trek, and I know I'm not the only one seeing this, which does lend it a little weight in terms of nerd-cool, but in terms of practicality, they're just not really there yet.  At least, not as far as I know.  I can almost guarantee I won't be getting either of them unless they prove to be amazing, since there are more important things for me to look at, but in terms of pure gadgetry fun, well, I guess we can always use more.

No comments:

Post a Comment