Thursday, May 19, 2011

Skyrim - In This Place, There Always Be Dragons

At least, that's what Todd Howard, Producer, says.  Not only will dragons be part of scripted events and such, but they will also just be a randomly spawning monster around the countryside.  While not explicitly surprising, it is a bit comforting to me especially, as I am a man who enjoys Dragons, clearly.  (I really don't even have to link to that post.  For whatever reason, it has about 10x more views than any other post of mine and I have absolutely no clue why.


Now, I haven't talked about Skyrim much, and that's just mostly because of the little stigma I have with Bethesda games.  I always get them for consoles, and then I always end up getting them again on PC to actually play them, what with all the mods and such out there.  Real cheap-like, of course, but I always feel like I let myself get into them too early, when a packaged version of the 'full' game comes out a year later and drops like a brick in price.  Of course, I can't currently play them on PC since this PC just.....just sucks and I wouldn't actually want to do any gaming on it, but you get my point.

And I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do with Skyrim this time.  Not only did my last foray into a Bethesda game burn me a little (Oblivion GotY on PS3, no DLC = Angry Panda), I just don't have enough time.  With Summer coming around, I'm not going to be playing my PS3 a lot unless I get some real, true cooling options out here, which isn't that likely, and I already have too many games as it is.  One of them being Fallout 3:  GotY which I haven't even touched yet, which, well, I'm sure I don't have to explain anything about that at all to you, the reader.


Of course, that isn't to say that if whatever computer situation I get next is able to play it (which isn't too likely) I won't, because Skyrim looks really, really interesting.  The Dragons, the new Dual-Wielding system, the usual 'real' open-world you get from Bethesda, its allure is pretty strong.  And it just looks absolutely wonderful from all the material they've released.  But then you have to consider 'the other side', the bugs and such that you know will be there, and might be a continual pain in the ass and, again, the fact that there will likely be two big expansions, little bits of DLC, and then a big package deal after a year and change.

I like to think I've become a fairly patient man.

No comments:

Post a Comment