Thursday, May 5, 2011

This is Neat - Game-Making Program on DSWare

I checked over at Siliconeria and saw this little article about Petit Computer, a program you'll be able to download from the DSiWare Shop in Japan(For now, don't know about an American/PAL version).  That's the problem I have with linking Siliconeria stories, is that they often deal with exclusively Japan-centric things.  But regardless, I'd imagine the chances of this seeing American shores would be pretty good; why wouldn't they bring it over, I mean?

Anyways, the program allows you to handle the programming and art side of games, programming things in BASIC (which, I'll admit, I have no idea on; from what the comments say, it seems like it's not anyone's first choice) while using a graph square to make your sprites for your characters and other assets.  While you can't make the best looking thing around, a little time will net you something neat-looking at the very least.


The games made will be able to be distributed online, as they save on the SD card in your DSi, so everyone will be able to see just what you've made!  Though a bit limiting, this is still a step in the right direction, as far as I'm concerned.  Since, well, this reminds me of a subject I've been thinking on for a while now.

Do any of you guys remember the RPG Maker series of games?  It always struck me as odd as they were around when it was, well, cumbersome to allow anyone who wasn't in your household to play your game (not counting the PC versions), yet as soon as Online Distribution through game consoles and such boomed, the games never showed up again.  Someone should, y'know, bring that back.  Since now it's going to be a lot more appealing to people, especially after the success of LittleBigPlanet and similar games where User-Created Content reigns supreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment