Thursday, July 21, 2011

Music! Chrono Trigger Edition, Part 2

It's been a rough day.  I won't bore you with the details, but I just haven't been a happy camper all day, and when I sat down about half an hour ago, finally, to write a blogpost, I was so frustrated that I didn't know what to put out here.  And while I don't really have a lot to say tonight, I do have a lot to express, I should say.  I would like to express to you that music always helps.  And, in light of Chrono Trigger getting an ESRB rating for PS3/PSP again, hey, perfect timing to share one of my favorite soundtracks to a game ever.  I'm sure you all remember the last installment, of course.

I think I'll begin this one with the song that was ultimately edged out last time by two of the other songs.  While it's not my favorite, I will go out on record saying that I think it's one of the best examples of a "mood song" on the soundtrack as a whole, and that it completely, totally captures the essence of the character it represents.  Of course, I'm talking about "Frog's Theme".



It's an astounding blend of something regal, something driven, and something slightly tragic all in one and I just can't stress enough how fitting it ends up being.

This next song isn't quite as important, but it's just as fun to listen to.  I don't really know what it is about it, honestly; maybe just the complexity of the song considering how fast it is, or how upbeat it is.  Either way, it's a fun song, this "Bike Chase" is.



This next song is one of the many songs the game plays when shit goes down, as shit happens to go down quite often in Chrono Trigger world.  And to this day, whenever I'm in a fairly bad way or a time constrained situation, this comes on in my head, which makes things more enjoyable, but doesn't guarantee it works out all the time unfortunately.  It's the aptly named "A Shot of Crisis".



And the last song I'm going to use is a fairly hard one to use.  Not because it's not a great song, because it is, but it retroactively kind of carries the 'taint' of Chrono Cross (which, after reading a Screenshot Let's Play of the game just recently, I'm convinced people only tell themselves they like the game because the music is good.  Seriously, Chrono Cross is awful.) given how the sequel chooses to use some characters from the first game.  I apologize for this very slight spoiler, but it's a little hard to -not- preface it somehow.  The song in question is "Schala's Theme".



It's wonderfully airy and beautiful sounding, isn't it?  Every time I hear the songs from the game, I get to appreciate them more and more.  Sigh, good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment