Monday, January 23, 2012

Warriors Orochi 3 Officially Coming to America


Earlier today, I just so happened to be informed that there is an official site up for Warriors Orochi 3 and that is Warriors Orochi 3 with a 3 and not a 2 meaning it's not something to do with, y'know, the Japanese release from a couple months ago.  Or last month.  Looking at the site, an ESRB logo is plain to see which, y'know, heavily suggested a North American release to me as I -think- the ESRB is just America's thing.  So I was super excited about that and then I went on Siliconera to find that yeah, it's officially a thing and just could not be happier.  For.....a few minutes until I took the time to actually read the news towards the end of the article.  Specifically the part that says...

Additionally, Tecmo Koei’s community manager in the UK mentions that Warriors Orochi 3 will only feature Japanese voices with English subtitles.

I'm honestly not too sure how I feel about that.  On one hand, I've played and enjoyed games with Japanese Voice-Overs before (granted, I think 100% of them were Yakuza games) and I do enjoy the language.  On the other hand, I can't understand it and while it's not -vital- to the enjoyment experience, I imagine I'll eventually miss -something- and will be constantly annoyed by that.  Also I'll be missing out on the awesome voice of Jamieson Price yelling as Lu Bu which is near worth the price of admission right there.  Still, it's not enough to prevent me from buying the game, happily at that, so it seems that it's a non-issue.  It's just a non-issue that I find myself grumbling about currently.

That we're actually, officially getting the game is pretty much enough for me to not care about much else, really.  While I didn't really doubt we -would- get it, having it confirmed is a load off my mind which is really, really helpful lately.  And from what I've seen, the game should be pretty neat on top of existing.  It's a direct continuation of Warriors Orochi 1/2's storyline in which the warriors, brought together by Orochi who has since been slain, are still stuck in Orochi's realm.  Years pass and the warriors find themselves fighting still and, of course, losing members along the way.  When the threat of a giant hydra rises up, the fractured remnants find they're no match for it and that is when a strange woman of mystery appears with the answer.  By going back in time to prevent the death of their foes and comrades alike, they can ensure their combined strength is where it needs to be when the Hydra strikes.  Perhaps with that foe defeated, they'll finally be able to return to their own times.  (I hope not)

There's really not a whole lot else to say.  The game has been fairly dramatically changed from 1/2, obviously, but I won't know the full extent of those changes until I have it in my hands.  I hope that all the guest characters are written in a bit coherently at least, but even if they're not, I probably won't care too much.  And is it too much to ask that the game didn't have to come out in fucking March?  Between Lollipop Chainsaw, Yakuza:  Dead Souls, this, and oh yeah, the fucking Vita, the front-end of this year is loaded with entirely too much stuff that I don't have money to buy.  And people were concerned that 2011 was going to have more than 2012.  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment