Saturday, January 12, 2013

Hey, I Didn't Forget


I am 1 for 2 in terms of New Year's Resolutions.  This is a thing that is official that I've been meaning to bring up, just forgot about it until now.  Seeing as there's something of a weekend lull, and I only made it about ten minutes into Assassin's Creed 3:  Liberation after beating Persona 4 Golden, then this is a perfect time to discuss it, for it is a thing that is to be discussed.  Some of you might have been around last January when I set my second ever New Year's Resolution of making my own game that would be a board game, styled something after Metal Gear Ac!d because goddamn if I don't love those two games and cards.  Cocky off my recent resolution win of doing this blog, I aimed to shoot for the stars and, well, life kind of caught up to me.  So, at this point in time, I'm disappointed to say that I don't have anything close to a prototype of the game to play with, meaning I failed that one.

As a side thing, I always kind of figured that it might not have gotten quite finished, but I expected, at least, to be a little bit into the actual card-making process which is currently still a point off on the horizon.  I have characters and factions drawn up (so to speak) and I have some base mechanics considered, but that's about the bulk of it honestly which is not really indicative of a years-worth of work.  Of course, it's not technically a years-worth of work, since there were entire months where I just couldn't even consider working on it because of the stuff that has cropped up, but I don't aim to excuse it, really.  Not like I have to, really - I wanted to do something and then I didn't.  Big deal.  A good part of the excitement really came from being able to have something to share and that's not gone, so there's not too much of an issue.

In all reality, the only reason I bring it up at all is because I'm just going to be renewing that resolution for this year.  It's a bit lazy and a bit counter to the entire idea, but really, it's just a formality.  Things that people want to do, we do regardless of reason or anything like that - the whole concept of being a Resolution is just an attempt at galvanization towards a certain goal that is generally considered a larger thing than we might ordinarily contest.  So what all this means is that I -still- want to make my game, and that I -hope- to make strides toward that goal through this upcoming year.  With the knowledge gathered last year at just what kind of a task this is that I have at hand, I hope to make some better strides this year, since I -know- which way I'm going, it's just the getting there that's the problem.

The issue with actually sharing this project, I'm realizing, is foresight.  Both in whether I might want to sell this thing in the future and whether I could, were I of a mind to attempt to.  There's not a whole lot of protection in just posting things up on the internet and hoping nobody takes them, after all.  But that's a bridge I'll cross at some later point - I'm sure if I keep -some- of the information back, I'll still have something I can build on, so I'm not too fussed about it.  Whenever I can update it, I promise that I will, but that might be a while in the future here - I'm working on other things and dealing with life as it comes, after all.  I've got the whole of this year to mess around with, though, so I am anticipating -some- progress.  In fact, I'd say it's a little impossible that there won't be any.  So that's a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment