Saturday, February 23, 2013

Mew-Genics Sounds Insane, I Want It


In what is apparently becoming a week wherein I allow myself to be more open to things I normally wouldn't care about, the latest announcement by Team Meat has me seriously considering giving their newest game, Mew-Genics, a good look once it comes out.  For weeks, they've been sort of teasing the project, handing out tidbits of information that more or less did not really equate what the game was about, and it was only today that they finally revealed that, putting all the pieces together.  Of course, just because we see the puzzle completed doesn't mean that it's something we can honestly understand just by looking and hearing about it.  I don't normally do this, but allow me to quote the story told by Edmund McMillen about a recent play session he posted in the linked announcement on the Team Meat blog.
Last week I was playing a game with Puddle, a fat female cat I had been working on earlier that day, I thawed her out of her Cryo-cube and placed her in my current single story house along with her newly generated companion Champ. I had been focusing my time on Puddle due to the fact that she seemed to have a very unique tail that I believe had helped her place 2nd in a cat pageant in a previous and I needed to breed her so I could continue her bloodline before she got too old. Sadly Champ wasn't up to snuff and Puddle made this obvious by repeatedly kicking him in the face, I separated them quickly by putting champ in the attic but when I tried to feed him.. something odd happened. See, Champ was a dullard and when Puddle kicked him he just happened to also be eating and now associated the trauma with food instead of Puddle herself, he was scared of all food.. and sadly died in the attic shortly after.

It wasn't long after though that I caught sight of a solid black stray cat named Goon, before he had a chance to run I grabbed him and pulled him inside. Goon was a much better fit for Puddle and before I knew it the humping started and puddle was pregnant! I put her in the attic with plenty of food and a bed, but quickly noticed that something was up with Goon, he seemed to be constantly falling asleep. As it turned out Goon was a narcoleptic and as you might have guessed Puddle gave birth to 2 sleeping kittens, one of them fat like his mother and black like his dad and the other small but with his mom's markings and that amazing forked tail that helped in the last pageant, but sadly both kittens were narcoleptic like their father...

Goon acted aggressively towards the kittens so I let him back out into the yard and he eventually ran away. As the kittens grew up I did enter the small one (his name was Dot) into a pageant but sadly he just fell asleep on the stage and didn't win anything. To add insult to injury Puddle also acquired feline aids from Goon and I couldn't afford any of the expensive treatments Dr. Beanies was offering so I put her back in the Cryo-cube in hopes that in the future I might have a cure for her disease once I finish a few more of the Doctor's missions.

I wasn't able to save Dot because I was arrested by the local animal control shortly after I put Puddle in the cube, probably because of letting Goon run away.. and the whole giving my other cat aids thing... or maybe it was the dead cat in the attic.
If you can read that without cocking your brow in confusion while also chuckling or at least cracking a smile, then congratulations...for something, I suppose.  That whole thing more or less shows off the gameplay aspects that are described as "a cross between The Sims and Pokemon with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and a dash of Tamagotchi" which sounds like something that is all at once amazing and exactly what I've been gnashing my teeth for, in terms of taking Animal Crossing/Pokemon and -expanding- upon the ideas present.  Granted, it was...not in this way at all that I was hoping for, but still.  Progress.  Those are not the only elements, of course, nor does that little story even show a smidgen of what truly appears to be a completely random existence meant to give every play a 'story' for it, as was put well on display.

You would think my attention would be fine-tuned to Team Meat already, given that they're porting The Binding of Isaac to PS3 and Vita at....some point, but that 'some point' is entire the issue.  Being a small studio, working fast is not exactly their forte, nor is that of publisher Nicalis who is apparently doing the brunt of the work for the ports that we know about (PS3/Vita/PC) while also talking to Microsoft, Nintendo and seeing if mobile is a possibility without taking too much away from the game.  As in it'll only show up on mobiles "if it's not garbage" as Edmund put it.  Yet, the Binding of Isaac is a kind of game I've heard about from here and there and it seems like something you're not really supposed to hear about second-hand, but kind of figure it out for yourself and then contribute to the collective, as it were, so I'm doing just that by waiting.  If past experience is anything to go by, I will be waiting for quite a while, but that's fine.

Mew-Genics, though?  Yeah.  I am -all about- that, so I'm really excited to see how it's received when it releases.  With any luck, after Nicalis gets their wings, so to speak, porting to PS3/Vita they can extend that expertise towards bringing Mew-Genics to other platforms as well.  Again, if they can or will, it'll take a while, but I can wait.  There's plenty of things I can do in the meantime, like cut mans and raid tombs.  Probably shoot plant zombies.  And consider buying a PS4.

Seriously, what I'm saying is it's going to be a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment