Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Nosgoth Officially Revealed, Looks Terrible


...

....sigh.

Fucking hell.

Nosgoth was rumored and then confirmed a while ago, and I posited the worst-case scenarios for what it could've been.  Me.  The guy who is terrible at predictions.  The guy who is almost proven wrong constantly when doing this kind of thing.  So lo and behold, I got this one right and yes, it's as miserable of a feeling as you might imagine.  Everything I see about this game screams MOBA even if it isn't the typical DOTA set-up that so many MOBAs seem to be aping.  Everything I see from that trailer also looks absolutely terrible, and it's honestly really difficult to even consider this world a reality at the moment.  Much less put that into words.

Essentially, Nosgoth takes places during the big time skip between Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1 in which the world is plunged into chaos because of the fall of the Pillars of Balance and the rising army of vampires against humanity.  And possibly the Hylden too, but they don't seem like they're getting facetime this go around.  Spoiler alert:  The Vampires more or less win.  So, congratulations, Nosgoth is entirely moot before we even -start- things.  Just wanted to throw that out there.  It is basically existing solely on Rule of Cool except it doesn't....contain anything cool within its confines.  It contains things of pain and terror, things that I don't want to comprehend and things that I just don't want to talk about.  But I must.  So let's jump right into that, I suppose.

Nosgoth is being billed as a Tactical/Team-Based Third-Person Action game where you play as either humans or vampires battling against each other.  Humans are ranged-based, focusing on bows and arrows, crossbows, mines...flamethrowers and grenade launchers, you know, normal medieval fare, whereas Vampires are melee-focused, having the ability to get around easier so that they can get right up in a human's face to eat it off.  It....sounds a little unwieldy, and I'm not quite sure how it's going to be balanced, especially when the video seems to suggest that everyone is made of paper.  Though I guess that...is -one- way to do it, I suppose, making everyone super lethal, so that the vampires move a little faster (and can climb buildings and such) to compensate against the humans being able to shoot them from thirty feet away.  I'd say that I'm sure it'll work out somehow, but I'm really not - the game just doesn't look good and the concept ruins any and all chance of me giving it any benefit of the doubt.

I just kind of feel bad for Psyonix, since I imagine they were just saddled with this, and they honestly just don't know what to do with it.  So they fit right in at Squeenix.  Even though it's going to be free-to-play (of course) I'm certainly not going to give it another look after tonight and I'm sure that I'm not alone in that.  Unfortunate, really, since Squeenix will spin the lack of attention towards a conclusion stating that people don't want Legacy of Kain anymore.  That's a fallacy, of course, but it's the way of things.  Not the best way to see off the series in the least which is disappointing but, again, it's just not even surprising given how many dumb decisions Squeenix are capable of making and have made already.  Still, it's nice to know that it's going to be a train-wreck than to just assume it I suppose.

seriously, Squeenix, just what the hell

No comments:

Post a Comment